As a kid, I hated milk.
I couldn’t and still cannot stomach plain, unsweetened or unflavoured milk.
But, give me a mug full of chocolate malt powder milk and I’ll be your best friend.
So, you probably don’t have to guess the amount of chocolate powder I have consumed since the past 16 – 17 years!
And then came the winters and each year, during the period between December and February, I’d have a kitchen cupboard stocked with Cadbury’s Hot Chocolate powder. Just mix with hot milk, add sugar and your hot chocolate is ready!
Of course, I was a sucker for it!
I mean, who can say NO to a nice, cozy mug of hot chocolate?
I would also add some marshmallows for good measure and that is it!
Life was good.
With Hot Chocolate, my life had meaning.
But that was when I was younger!
You know, how a human can never really be satisfied with what they have?
Yes, I can totally vouch for that fact!
It is true!!!
I mean, you can get a decent cup of hot chocolate with just 3 ingredients but why stop at 3 when you can create Christmas in a mug and enjoy it every day for the rest of the month?
This is how this extraordinary mug of hot chocolate called the Spiced Orange Mocha Hot Chocolate was born!
It’s got cinnamon, orange, coffee, nutmeg, marshmallows and OF COURSE, chocolate!
Sounds like a lot of work, but is the exact opposite.
Measure out all your dry ingredients, chuck it into the chocolate and milk and cook it off till it gets lovely and thick.
Top it off with these Peppermint Marshmallows for that very important Christmas touch, some shaved chocolate and chocolate candy for topping and you are good to go.
The warmth of the hot chocolate melts the marshmallows and you get this creamy puddle of peppermint that refreshes your palate from all of the richness of the hot chocolate.
A spiced Orange Mocha Hot Chocolate is just what you need this Christmas.
- 400 mls milk
- 120 grams chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp freshly made espresso*
- 2 tbsp raw sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 + ½ teaspoon cornflour
- ¼ th teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/8th teaspoon nutmeg powder
- Zest of one orange cut into strips.
- Peppermint Marshmallows
- Shaved dark chocolate
- Any Chocolate based candy.
- In a large, heavy bottomed saucepan add the milk, dark chocolate and espresso.
- On medium heat, combine the ingredients until the chocolate is partially melted.
- Add the rest of the hot chocolate ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the hot chocolate has thickened.
- Take it off the heat.
- Immediately pour in mugs and add the desired toppings and serve.
*You can even use instant coffee if making fresh espresso is not possible. Just brew the instant coffee as per package instructions and measure out 2 tablespoons.