This pistachio brownie ice cream combines the simplicity of pistachios with the intense indulgence of rich, fudge like chocolate for an unforgettable treat.
If there’s one flavor combination that will never cease to disappoint, that’s pistachio and chocolate. There’s something about this incredible flavour combination that is calming and seductive at the very same time. The pale grey – green color of the pistachio ice cream marries beautifully with the intensely decadent classic chocolate brownie to create a dessert of your dreams.
I remember walking in narrow alleyways in Roma away from all the touristy flocks of people in a bid to spot good local gelatarias that made fresh handmade gelato. A very dear friend, Alexandra, that I’d met in Rome on the very first day had taught us everything we should know before ordering our gelato.
With my new found gelato knowledge in place, I scoured the photogenic streets in Rome and we treated ourselves to tons of gelato throughout the 3 days that we were in Rome. I sampled tons of flavours during this time and I’ve got a number of inspired desserts up my sleeve waiting to be unleashed upon you.
This pistachio brownie ice cream is certainly inspired by a gelato I had near the Pantheon. a chocolate enrobed cone was filled with pistachio and chocolate ice cream in separate scoops, of course. However, when we had them together, it was pure magic. The pistachio gelato was creamy and silky. It had the natural pistachio flavour to it and the color was pale grey – green. We fell in love with it.
I decided to recreate this experience at home with this pistachio brownie ice cream. It’s always nice to have little bits and bobs inside your ice cream. I just think that it adds a really nice touch and texture to your dessert. It smack confuses your senses, heightens the enjoyability of your dessert, no?
Imagine this ice cream as a silky, creamy frozen treat and suddenly, out of nowhere, you find a fudgy piece of brownie that adds a sudden burst of chocolaty goodness before you go back to tasting the pistachio again. It’s just the absolute perfect experience.
I have made my gelato in an ice cream maker. You can obviously go the old fashioned way and whip or whisk the ice cream every few hours for about 6 – 8 hours till it’s nicely frozen but honestly, it takes way too long and the results will still be far from what an actual ice cream would taste like. Besides, an ice cream machine is not a very expensive device. Buy the one where you need to freeze your bowl in advance to cut costs. You will not be disappointed with your purchase.
Make this pistachio brownie ice cream at home and watch how your family sings your praises for the rest of eternity!
RECIPE VIDEO COMING SOON.
- 50 grams pistachios
- 40 grams heavy cream
- 100 grams milk
- 75 grams cream
- 75 grams sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp water
- chunks of dark chocolate brownies
- For the Pistachio paste, blend together the pistachios and cream until they form a smooth paste and keep aside.
- For the ice cream base, mix together the milk, cream, sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornflour and water until a smooth uniform liquid is formed.
- Add this cornflour mix to the milk and cream mix.
- Put it on heat on high. First bring the mix to a boil (about 2 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Once thickened, take it off the heat and let it cool.
- Add the pistachio paste and mix well until uniformly distributed in throughout the mix.
- Churn the ice cream as per the manufacturers instructions.
- Scoop a layer of ice cream into a 4 inch x 4 inch tin.
- Add small chunks of brownie scattered evenly.
- Layer with leftover ice cream
- Add more brownie chunks and freeze the ice cream for 2 -3 hours before serving.