These peanut butter and jelly cookies are insanely decadent! A crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside cookie with a happy jelly surprise in the centre! This is what cookie dreams are made of!
Peanut Butter and Jelly – a flavour match made in heaven! This is the ultimate example of how a contrast in flavours adds a wonderful dimension to food! The saltiness in the peanuts is balanced beautifully by the tart – sweet flavour of strawberry / raspberry jam. This results in taking any dessert that you make with this flavour combination to a brand new level of awesomeness. So why should these peanut butter and jelly cookies be any different?
The cookie dough here is flavoured with rich and creamy peanut butter. I generally prefer using creamy smooth peanut butter for this recipe as we cream it with sugar and butter to create a luscious cookie dough. If you use the crunch one, I fear that mixing it well will be an issue. If you want more texture to this cookie, you could totally add roughly chopped peanuts at the very end while making the cookie dough – you know, how you add chocolate chips when making chocolate chip cookies? That very same way, except, in this case, it would be peanuts instead of chocolate chips.
The peanut butter and jelly cookie dough is essentially quite tacky to the touch. You need to rest the dough for at least an hour before working on it or baking. However, despite this, it would be a bit tacky and you’d have to dip your fingers in some flour whilst flattening them out so you can fill them with the tart sweet strawberry or raspberry preserve.
If you’ve ever made stuffed parathas before, this will be super easy to make. Even if you haven’t, it’s easy! It is as simple as making the cookie dough, scooping them onto a baking tray, resting the said dough, flattening them out and filling the centre with some jam and baking them to decadent PB and J perfection!
As these cookies bake in the hot oven, they spread quite a lot. Once cooled, they firm up slightly. These peanut butter and Jelly cookies are still chewy and soft, especially in the middle as the jam adds to the moistness of the cookie. The sides, however, are deliciously crisp.
Watch the video to see how you can make these cookies and I hope you give them a go, you’ll be delighted with the sweet salty classic combination transformed into a cookie.
- 250 grams all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 170 grams salted butter
- 200 grams light brown sugar
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 150 grams peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 grams strawberry jam
- In a bowl, sift the flour and baking soda. Whisk lightly to combine and keep aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add softened butter and beat until it is smooth, on medium speed, about 1 minute.
- Add both the sugars and cream until light and fluffy, on medium speed about 3 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter and continue beating for another 1 minute on medium speed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
- Add the flour mix, that was sifted earlier and mix only until everything comes together. Do not overmix.
- On a cookie sheet, use an ice cream scoop to scoop out cookie dough. I scoop about 6 balls on a sheet as these cookies will spread.
- Let them rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Before you start the next step, preheat oven to 160 C / 325 F
- Use some flour to dip your fingers and flatten out cookie dough scoops.
- Add the jam to a piping bag and massage it gently so its smooth and of piping consistency.
- Add about a teaspoon of the jam in the center of the flattened dough.
- Make them into balls and place on tray.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, let them sit for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.