Nutty almonds and Fruity Berry jam make these Mixed Berry thumbprint cookies a buttery delight to enjoy on a cold rainy evening.
Do you know what’s better than eating jam and toast? Jam on cookies!
Especially jams that are made from a really sweet – tart flavoured fruit. There’s something about the tart and buttery combination that just works. It’s undoubtedly, a classic. Here’s another example of how this flavor combination works effortlessly. I’d made a batch of these Linzer Cookies sometime back and they use they very same butter – almonds – jam combination.
We have an eerily similar biscuit that is available in supermarkets. It’s not a thumbprint cookie, per se, but rather a sandwich cookie with synthetic vanilla cream in the centre and a dollop of inedible chewy jam in the centre. that really is inedible, you know? That vile stuff just sticks to your teeth and getting it off is another story altogether.
Instead, why don’t you spend 15 minutes of your day making these beauties if the craving strikes?
Yes, these mixed berry thumbprint cookies take only 15 minutes to prep and bake. You can basically just wake up one morning and decide you want to eat cookies and you’ll have it in record time! Cookies FTW!
You can fill these mixed berry thumbprint cookies with any jam you fancy, really. You don’t particularly have to choose mixed berry. The reason I chose this one was because I had a massive jar of it from my trip to Italy. Yes, I got a jar of jam amongst other things, don’t judge me! You could use a single berry jam, orange marmalade, cherry jam or anything that you feel like eating.
Also, please don’t replace the butter with oil, margarine or any of that fluff. These cookies are meant to be made with rich, creamy butter. You cannot get that taste from any other fat but butter.
There’s also a small amount of almond meal that I’ve added to the cookie dough mix for these mixed berry thumbprint cookies. I find that when you do that the nutty + buttery combination is just the kind that can knock your socks off! Combine this with the fruity tart jam and I can guarantee you there is nothing better that you may have ever tasted!
Besides, these are small batch cookies and you get no more than 6 cookies made from 1 tablespoon scoop each.If you live by yourself, these will easily last you 2 days. If you have a small family or live with a group of friends / roommates, these will be gone in a flash.
Don’t believe me?
Try it yourself.
- 50 grams unsalted butter
- 35 grams caster sugar
- 1/2 beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 grams almonds (ground to a fine powder)
- 85 grams all purpose flour
- 1 very small pinch of salt
- 1/4th teaspoon baking powder
- 2 - 3 tablespoons mixed berry jam (Or any jam of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar with a hand whisk.
- Add the beaten egg and whisk till well combined.
- Add the Vanilla extract and mix again.
- Now, add all the dry ingredients (almond powder, flour, salt and baking powder) and mix till a smooth dough forms. Do not over mix the dough.
- Use your tablespoon measure to scoop out dough and place them at 2 - 3 inches apart on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- With your thumb, press the centre of the dough to make a generous dent.
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees C for a total of 8 - 10 minutes.
- After 4 minutes of baking, take the tray out, spoon 1/2 teaspoon of jam into the dents, turn the tray and pop back into the oven for the remainder of the time.