This mango peach sorbet and ginger cookie sandwich combines sunny summer flavours of mango and peach. This lush sorbet is then sandwiched between spicy ginger cookies. It is a thoroughly refreshing ice cream sandwich.
I love ice cream sandwiches. There is so much going on in it! Multiple dimensions like the smooth and creamy sorbet balanced with the spiciness of the crisp and chewy ginger cookie creates the most amazing ice cream sandwich.
I wish I was good with words. I wish I could explain how fresh and fruity this mango and peach sorbet tasted. It’s honestly like nothing I’ve ever tasted before. The distinctive flavours that we associate with mangoes and peaches are combined together and the resulting flavour is something that I would imagine a brand new hybrid fruit to taste like.
When you take the first bite, you are hit by the beautiful freshness of this sorbet. Had I not told you that there’s mango and peach in it, you would find it very difficult to know exactly what went into it. It’s basically like eating a fruit that never existed!
I am not even exaggerating how good this is! You have to make it yourself to believe it! Now, we’ve been refreshed with the sorbet but we need something more to balance this freshness. In comes the spice and kick of mild citrus heat in the form of ginger cookies.
These ginger cookies are dark and rich, thereby beautifully contrasting the freshness from the sorbet. This mango peach sorbet and ginger cookie sandwich is the ultimate sweet treat that can not only help you beat the summer heat but also make you savour the little things about summer. I’ve used rich dark brown sugar that adds to the rich molasses like flavour of the cookie in addition to the dry ginger powder.
You may think that this is essentially a winter cookie because of the mild heat in the cookies from the ginger but essentially, it really helps round off the freshness from the sorbet. This adds a depth of flavour and dimension to this sorbet ice cream sandwich that is hard to find!
I really hope you give this mango peach sorbet and ginger sandwich cookie a go because it’s absolutely decadent and the perfect summer treat!
- 350 grams mango pulp
- 300 grams peach pulp
- juice of 1 lime
- 150 grams sugar
- 150 mls water
- 1 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch / cornflour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon water
- 140 grams all purpose flour
- 100 grams salted butter, room temperature
- 105 grams light brown sugar
- 25 grams caster sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4th teaspoon baking soda
- First begin by making the base for the sorbet.
- In a saucepan on medium high heat, add water and sugar.
- Mix until the sugar dissolves and bring to the boil. Let the sugar water boil for about 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add the peach and mango puree. Mix until combined.
- Add the lime or lemon juice and mix.
- Heat this mix again and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add the slurry of cornflour and water to this mix and bring to the boil.
- Continue boiling for 3 minutes to cook out the cornflour in the mix.
- Take it off the heat, let it cool to room temperature and then place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 -5 hours until completely chilled.
- Follow the instructions of your ice cream machine to churn and freeze the sorbet.
- For the cookies, preheat oven to 160 C / 325 F. Sift the dry ingredients - all purpose flour, baking soda and ginger powder and keep it in the bowl.
- Set aside
- Cream butter, caster sugar and dark brown sugar until pale and fluffy
- Add the egg and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Do not over mix the dough.
- Weigh out 30 grams of the cookie dough and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 160 C / 325 F for about 10 minutes or until the edges turn slightly brown.
- Let them cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Take a cookie. Turn it so the flat side faces up. Add a generous scoop of the sorbet and cover with another cookie.