These eggless vanilla cupcakes made without condensed milk contain vegetarian instant custard powder, which imparts a rich flavour. The cake is moist, fluffy and has a tender crumb. It’s the perfect vessel for a variety of frostings and flavours.
Watch the video to make eggless vanilla cupcakes
I’ve been getting several requests for eggless recipes over the weeks. I decided to spend a few weeks in the kitchen perfecting eggless recipes so we can all share the magnificent joys of baking! In the past, I’ve showed you how to make fudgy eggless brownies and even decadent eggless cookies. However, for some reason, I was unable to get my cupcakes to work! No sooner did I get them out of the oven than they would sink right in the middle, creating a dent that could accommodate my little finger comfortably. However, several failed experiments later, I’ve finally perfected these eggless vanilla cupcakes.
Ingredients to make eggless vanilla cupcakes
It needs only a handful of ingredients and a secret weapon that helps keep the cupcakes tender and fluffy – vanilla custard powder. You only need a little and it brings the batter together so beautifully. You don’t have to deal with cloyingly sweet cupcakes doused in condensed milk as this recipe completely eliminates this ingredient. Simply sift in all your dry ingredients, throw in the butter, vanilla extract and milk. Beat it for about 2 -3 minutes and your cupcake batter is ready to create magic in the oven.
I like to bake these at a lower temperature. So, I heat up the oven to 160 C. The gentle temperature ensures that the cupcakes don’t brown too much or crack at the surface. They rise very gently and deflate ever so slightly once out of the oven. So, no more 5 feet craters in the centre of your cupcakes anymore.
I hope you make these eggless vanilla cupcakes at home for your loved ones.
- 120 grams all purpose flour
- 40 grams vegetarian vanilla custard powder
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 grams salted butter, room temperature
- 100 grams milk, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160 C / 320 F
- In a bowl, sift the all purpose flour, custard powder, baking powder, baking soda and caster sugar.
- On low speed, beat the ingredients until well combined
- Add the butter and on slow speed mix until it coats the dry ingredients and develops a sand like crumbly texture.
- Add the milk, on very slow speed mix until it combines, then increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, add the vanilla extract and beat on medium speed for another minute.
- Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 th way through
- Bake in the oven for 22 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre emerges clean.
- Take the cupcakes out of the oven and let them cool completely.
- Frost the cupcakes with boiled milk buttercream frosting.