This cinnamon roll pound cake consists of a moist, rich, fluffy vanilla pound cake batter with a generous line of cinnamon filling running through the centre of this bundt cake. Topped with a vanilla glaze, it is a cinnamon roll lovers dream.
WATCH THE VIDEO:
There is something so calming about biting into a buttery, rich pound cake. The crumb, tender and delicious, the flavour, a subtle hum of vanilla and the salty sweet goodness of butter. It’s hands down my favourite way to eat cake. No frosting necessary, all you need is a cup of hot tea or coffee and bliss is all you experience. To me, there is also something incredibly refreshing about cinnamon in desserts. The warmth of this sweet, citrussy spice just pairs so well with the fluffy vanilla cake. Combine these two and you have the most decadent afternoon tea treat – the cinnamon roll pound cake!
Making this cinnamon roll pound cake couldn’t be simpler. You first begin by making the actual cinnamon roll filling that will go into the center of the cake. This is extremely simple, you just need a handful of ingredients like butter, dark brown sugar and cinnamon powder. However, when you’re making this cake, you need something to help bind this mix or it will end up mixing with the rest of the cake. Not Good. You need a swirl going through the centre. So, you add some flour to it as well. In order to ensure that this mix is spreadable, you will also need to loosen the batter up with some milk from the recipe.
Now that you’re done with the cinnamon filling, we can move on to the pound cake. The batter is as easy as it can be. You sift all your dry ingredients first, including the caster sugar. You then add the softened butter and cream the butter into the dry ingredients. I learned this method in Rose Levy Bernbaum’s The Cake Bible, which quite honestly, is my go-to book to understand the science behind baking the perfect cake. It is called the Reverse creaming method.
I’ve added milk as part of my liquid ingredients as that’s all I had on hand. But if you want to, you could also add buttermilk. It would add more richness to the cake.
Simply thinking about this cinnamon roll pound cake makes me want to drool. I’m pretty much on a cinnamon roll high, to be honest. This is the kind of weather that makes me crave cinnamon quite a bit. Later this week, I’m also baking another treat using cinnamon roll, which I’m super excited to share with you. But for now, let’s just savour this delicious treat with a cup of tea!
- 50 grams salted butter
- 50 grams dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 150 grams all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125 grams caster sugar
- 150 grams salted butter
- 2 eggs
- 200 grams milk
- 50 grams icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine butter and sugar and whisk until well combined.
- Add the Cinnamon powder and milk. Mix well.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Sift all dry ingredients together. This includes flour, baking powder, caster sugar.
- Add the butter and mix well until combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and mix well between each addition on medium speed using electric beaters.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract and mix again on medium speed using electric beaters for 2 minutes.
- Grease a bundt pan with butter.
- Add half the vanilla pound cake batter, spread evenly.
- Add a layer of the cinnamon mix over the batter and spread out well.
- Cover with rest of the batter. Follow instructions provided in the video.
- Bake at 150 C / 300 F for 30 minutes or until a knife / skewer inserted in the center emerges clean.
- Let it cool in the tin for 30 - 45 minutes, then invert on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix water and icing sugar together and drizzle over cooled cake.