These chocolate cereal and banana cupcakes are my take on morning breakfast of cereal and milk transformed into a delectable cupcake. Made with chocolate cereal sponge and topped with a fruity banana buttercream frosting, these cupcakes are the perfect way to start your very first morning of 2019.
Watch the video for Chocolate Cereal and Banana Cupcakes
It’s 2019! Already! I still can’t believe an entire year has raced past us! All of 365 days, done and dusted and now we begin a new cycle! Full of hopes, dreams and resolutions! I’m pretty sure the fitness resolution gets renewed every year but we will be more realistic this time, kay? 💁🏽♀️ Let’s start the first morning of 2019 with breakfast, because it’s the most important meal of the day and must NOT be skipped! Roger that? That’s why, I have here for you, these incredibly light and fluffy chocolate cereal and banana cupcakes! There’s fruit in there, so you can rejoice, you’re making a (relatively) healthier choice!
How to make Chocolate Cereal Cupcake Sponge
It’s a fluffy vanilla cake batter to which I’ve added an abundance of my favourite chocolate cereal. This is the one I’d eat most mornings before school. Although I’m quite wary of breakfast cereal because of its ridiculously high sugar content, I could have cared less about it back in the day! You don’t have to add chocolate, you could add absolutely any of your favourite cereal or a combination of all your favourite ones in it too! I’d pick chocolate over anything else especially if I have to start my day with it, so I decided to make these into chocolate cereal and banana cupcakes!
Adding the cereal flavours your cupcake in a way that it magically tastes like eating cereal with a different texture! Break this cupcake apart and pour a glass of milk over it and you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. But we like pretty looking things, don’t we! And how can we forget the fruit? We need a fruit to have a healthy start to the day! So, instead of simply adding it into the cupcake, I decided to flavour my buttercream frosting with banana!
How to make Banana Buttercream Frosting
Needless to say, you may have guessed what frosting I’ve opted for! The boiled milk buttercream frosting, with all its versatile bells and whistles helps you flavour the frosting with your favourite fruit or herb and the resulting frosting is stable, silky smooth and undeniably delicious! I’ve added pureed banana to the milk and sugar mix and then followed the same process of chucking in the flour and boiling the mix until it forms a pudding! What a treat for your senses!
I hope you make these chocolate cereal and banana cupcakes! They’re so stunning, look pretty and taste incredible!
- 100 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 80 grams salted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 grams full fat milk, room temperature
- 50 grams chocolate cereal, ground to a powder
- 130 grams full fat milk
- 130 grams very ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 100 grams salted butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 160 C / 320 F
- In a clean bowl, sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder and caster sugar
- Use a whisk to combine all the ingredients together.
- Add the butter and using electric beaters, beat on low speed until it starts to resemble crumbs.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat on medium speed for about 1 minute. ?Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl using a spatula and beat again for 1 minute.
- Add the milk and beat for 2 minutes, scraping sides and bottom of the bowl after 1 minute.
- Add the crushed chocolate cereal and fold it into the batter, ensuring you do not deflate any of the air.
- Use an ice cream scoop and fill the cupcake liners placed in a 12-hole muffin tray, 3/4th way through.
- Bake in the oven for 22 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center emerges clean.
- Once you take the cupcakes out of the oven, let them cool completely to room temperature.
- In a saucepan on medium heat add the milk and mashed banana.
- Give it a whisk and combine all the ingredients together.
- Lower the heat, add the all purpose flour and whisk it rigorously until the flour has no lumps.
- Increase heat to medium and boil the pudding for 3 minutes
- Transfer to a plate and let it cool down to room temperature
- In a clean bowl, add the room temperature salted butter and use electric beaters on medium speed for about 30 seconds until smooth.
- Divide the cooled pudding mix into two parts. Add one part, mix on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with your spatula, add the second part and beat again for 30 seconds on medium speed.
- Increase speed to high and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add your desired food colour and beat again for 2 minutes.
- The frosting will go fluffy and light.
- Fit your piping bag with a Wilton 1M tip.
- Fill your piping bag with the frosting and pipe swirls onto your cupcake.
- Sprinkle with crushed chocolate cereal and serve.