These brown butter chocolate brownies bring together the decadence of fudge like brownies with the nutty – butterscotch like brown butter into an irresistible afternoon treat with your cup of tea or coffee.
It has been a long hiatus from the blog, 2 years to be precise. I was in rainy Dublin during this time, getting my Masters and working in Marketing for a 5 star hotel there. My stay in Dublin has been a lot more than a couple of years abroad, learning to live on my own. The growing cafe culture there was an absolute sensory explosion, walk onto any street in town and you’d be hit by a million different aromas. I’d often set out to explore a number of cafes on weekends, sink myself into their rich, robust coffees, get cosy with a good book (and luxuriously simple Victorian sponge cakes) and watch the afternoon fly by!
This made me realise how much I had missed baking. It led me to take a decision that brought me back home to Bombay so I could give my blog a second chance, this time, The Cupcake Confession will be twice as passionate and twice as informative as it previously was. This time, it’s going to be not just pictures, but I’m also introducing you to my brand new YouTube channel as well. You will find new recipes on this blog every Tuesday and Thursday.
To celebrate the relaunch of my blog, I thought, what better way there was than to do so with chocolate and here we are with these brown butter chocolate brownies. They are decadent to the very last bite. The fudge like chocolate interiors are further enhanced by the nuttiness of butterscotch like brown butter. Melted butter is good but when you get liquid gold by cooking it just a tad bit further, I guarantee you, you’ll never go back to melted butter in anything ever again.
The mix comes together beautifully once combined with eggs and flour. You also add rich dark cocoa powder to add a robust chocolate flavour that takes the decadence levels of these brownies straight off the roof!
I’ve added a few flaked almond on the batter just before popping them into the oven to bake. This is completely optional but it adds a certain level of oomph to these brown butter chocolate brownies.
- 150 grams salted butter, browned
- 150 grams dark chocolate
- 100 grams light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 grams flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon almonds for topping
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius
- Line a 9 inch x 9 inch square baking tin with parchment paper
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat butter and cook it on medium low until it gets browned. This takes about 4 minutes
- Transfer the browned butter along with the brown bits at the bottom to a bowl for later use.
- Use the same saucepan, fill it with water, place a metal or glass bowl over this saucepan and use it as a bain marie for melting the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate has melted, add the butter to it and sugar.
- Touch the bowl to ensure that it has cooled slightly before adding the eggs, one at a time and mixing well between each addition.
- Add the Vanilla Extract
- Finally add the flour and cocoa powder and mix just until combined.
- Pour into your brownie pan and bake at 170 degrees Celsius for about 15 - 17 minutes, or until a skewer / knife inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean and the middle feels springy to the touch
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool completely before taking it out of the pan.
- Slice them into 9 equal squares.
I hope you’ll make these soon and if you do, don’t forget to let me know how they turned out. Post a photo on your Instagram and tag with #thecupcakeconfession so I can see!
What flavours do you like in your brownies?